Monday, June 29, 2015

Creativity and New Media



On top is a picture I took inside a MMORPG I play casually called "The Secret World". The whole premise of the game is that it takes place in the modern day, except suddenly all of the myths and conspiracy theories you thought were just stories actually come true and the world is in total havoc. You create a character and align them with one of the three factions (The Illuminati, The Templar, and The Dragon) who actually have control, power, and experience dealing with the esoteric, and then you work for them to try and stop the world from ending.

I made a character called Francis Tybalt, but you give them a code name that everyone refers to you which I named "StormMaven" (It has to be all one word). You choose the abilities the character actually has and then you just go along with the story.

I personally bought that clothes that he's wearing since the characters you make don't start like this (with in-game currency, not real money. Although if you think shopping in the real world is overwhelming, you should see the virtual one...) and aligned him with The Illuminati since I feel they have better writing in the game than the other two factions.

Here's an example video of what their story is about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNt7mEfFynA

And here's the launch trailer of the game, all created using in-game environments and character models, not CGI like most other trailers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MXgWLg9fVI

1 comment:

  1. I can relate to your comment about shopping in a virtual world. I created an avatar in SecondLife and attempted to fix her wardrobe, besides the avatar not updating my changes, the options were numerous! I didn't know where to start or what type of look I was going for. So many categories and sub-categories!

    ReplyDelete